Wildtech submission guidelines
The mission of Mongabay is to raise interest in and appreciation of wildlands and wildlife. Wildtech.mongabay.com aims to highlight creative use of technology for research, conservation and management of wildlife and wild places. Your submission has the best chance of being accepted if it follows this philosophy and is well-written, accurate (well-researched if applicable), carefully edited, and interesting.
Wildtech.mongabay.com currently accepts written submissions on topics including, but not limited to: design, development, demonstration, application, and assessment of tools, techniques, and technologies for research and conservation of nature (species, populations, habitats, etc), as well as the innovative and hard-working people behind these activities. If accepted, your article will run on wildtech.mongabay.com, part of a leading environmental web platform that draws more than 75,000 daily visitors.
We will do our best to provide a timely response to receipt of your submission. To facilitate the publication process, we have some terms and conditions for submission:
- Most of our articles range from 800 – 2,000 words, though we have no fixed word limits. An informative video or set of images with a detailed caption(s) may suffice for a particular post.
- Your article must be carefully edited before submitting to the site. Submissions with grammar or spelling errors may be rejected immediately. Your submission may be edited by the wildtech.mongabay.com team. After editing, wildtech.mongabay.com will provide you with a final version for your approval before the article runs.
- Please consult the Mongabay Style Guide for text style questions.
- If timely or of broad interest, your piece may be published on Mongabay’s news site (news.mongabay.com) or blog (blog.mongabay.com). Any selected piece will be promoted via social media channels.
- Your submission may run on wildtech.mongabay.com indefinitely unless you ask for its removal or until wildtech.mongabay.com elects to remove your submission from the site. Mongabay does not guarantee that your article will run for any specific period of time, but generally articles are maintained online permanently.
- Wildtech.mongabay.com reserves the right to reject any submission for any reason. Not all articles submitted to wildtech.mongabay.com will be published.
- You will not be paid for your article, as paying for submissions outside established mongabay.org programs is not feasible at this time. We hope to be able to support creation of interesting and informative articles in the future.
- Wildtech.mongabay.com is not responsible for content submitted by users. You, the submitter, are responsible for the accuracy of your article. You must have rights to your content, including photos; you cannot submit material copyrighted by other persons unless you have their express consent to do so. If you are unsure, please contact the author or photographer. You are responsible for all liability, claims, or legal action that may arise from your article, and any costs that mongabay.com incurs as the result of claims or legal actions that arise from the posting of your submission.
- Your submission to wildtech.mongabay.com is non-exclusive. You may submit your article to any other venue or web site for publication or posting.
- Submission of your materials to wildtech.mongabay.com constitutes your express consent to each and every of these terms and conditions.
You can email your query or submission to wildtech [at] Mongabay.com . Please send articles as Microsoft Word documents (.doc or .docx) or ASCII text files (.txt)
Send any images separately from the text, as .jpg, .gif, or .png format, and no larger than one megabyte each. Please also limit yourself to no more than 10 images per email. For videos, please paste the link of the video in your email letter if it has been uploaded to YouTube or similar site. If your video hasn’t been uploaded to a third party site, the editor can discuss the procedure with you directly.
The title of the post, author’s name, address, and email must appear on the first page of each submission or in the cover letter.
We will do our best to send confirmation of your submission within two weeks, but make no guarantee on length of time before publishing accepted pieces. We operate with a very small editorial staff, so we kindly request that you do not email us for status updates on your submission.
Please include “Mongabay Article Submission” as the subject for your email.
What we generally don’t publish
- Opinion pieces (with some exceptions)
- Press releases
- Promotional material on specific products
- Content as it has been published elsewhere (some interpretation required)
- Any content created for expressly purposes of SEO (e.g. keyword links)