Submitting environmental stories for publication on mongabay.com
Mongabay.com currently accepts writing submissions on topics including, but not limited to; ecology, conservation, animal behavior, and environmental issues. If accepted, your article will run on mongabay.com, a leading environmental web site that draws more than 75,000 daily visitors.
Terms and conditions:
- Mongabay.com reserves the right to reject any submission for any reason. Not all articles submitted to mongabay.com will be published.
- You will not be paid for your article, as paying for submissions outside our established Mongabay.org programs is not feasible at this time.
- Your article must be carefully edited before submitting to Mongabay. Submissions with grammar or spelling errors will be rejected immediately. Your submission may be edited by mongabay.com. After editing, mongabay.com will provide you with a final version for your approval before the article runs.
- Your piece may be published on our news site (news.mongabay.com) or on our blog (blog.mongabay.com) depending on the content. Any selected piece will be promoted via social media channels.
- Your submission may run on mongabay.com indefinitely unless you ask for its removal or until mongabay.com elects to remove your submission from the site. Mongabay.com does not guarantee that your article will run for any specific period of time.
- Mongabay.com is not responsible for content submitted by users. You, the submitter, are responsible for the accuracy of your article. You must have rights to your content; you cannot submit material copyrighted by other persons unless you have their express consent to do so. You are responsible for all liability, claims, or legal action that may arise from your article, and any costs that mongabay.com incurs as the result of claims or legal actions that arise from the posting of your submission.
- Your submission to Mongabay.com is non-exclusive. You may submit your article to any other venue or web site for publication or posting.
- Submission of your materials to Mongabay.com constitutes your express consent to each and every of these terms and conditions.
Please bear in mind that the mission of Mongabay.com is to raise interest in and appreciation of wildlands and wildlife. Your submission has the best chance of being accepted if it follows this philosophy and is well-written, accurate (well-researched if applicable), carefully edited, and interesting.
What we generally don't publish
- Opinion pieces (with some exceptions)
- Press releases
- Content that has been published elsewhere
- Any content created for expressly purposes of SEO (e.g. keyword links)
You can email your submission to Morgan Erickson-Davis at the email address below. We will do our best to send confirmation of your submission within two weeks, but make no guarantee on length of time before publishing accepted pieces. We operate with a small editorial staff, so we kindly request that you do not email us for status updates on your submission.
Please do not send images larger than one megabyte each, and please limit yourself to no more than 10 images per email. Please include "Mongabay Article Submission" as the subject for your email.
morgan @ mongabay [dot] com